Greetings, all, and time for another question on life, the universe, and everything! Did you miss these? I know you did.
This week! Our topic is the terraforming of Mars! You, Zoners, are now individual little entrepreneurs, with life-extension technology, and more yes-men than you can count. Your goal? Create a new Earth. You can go about this mostly as you please, and for whatever purpose. However, there are limits to what money can buy.
- Limit #1: Your wealth is not infinite. You can’t simply snap your fingers, and have the combined GDP of Europe funnel into Orion rockets. Your expenditure is limited to $50 billion a year – whatever methods you use, document how the money is used.
- Limit #2: Physics is a thing. All activities must follow the guidelines of known physics, or the strongly supported theoretical. There are no wizards here!
- Limit #3: This is a shared setting! You can either collaborate, or compete, with each other to get the job done. However, as to who is the new God-Emperor of Dune Mars, there can only be one.
Win conditions are as follows:
- Mars must have a breathable atmosphere, resembling Earth’s.
- Mars must have at least 50% of it’s surface volume (72,399,250 sq. km) covered with water year-round.
- At least 15,000 humans must be permanently present on the surface.
- A biosphere must exist that can replenish the global oxygen supply, and support at least 15,000 humans.
Again, feel free to build off each other’s idea’s but remember: the person to achieve the most results with the least effort/time spent (r=e/t) wins!
Some resources to get you started :
- Encyclopedia Astronautica – http://astronautix.com/
- Atomic Rockets - http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/index.php
- Terraforming Wiki – https://terraforming.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page
- Orion’s Arm Universe Project – https://orionsarm.com/
- Rockwell Dynamics Integrated Space Plan – https://cdn.makezine.com/uploads/2013/07/integratedspaceplan2color.pdf
- Integrated Space Analytics Integrated Space Plan – https://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/ISP-5-1-9c_FINAL_30x48v2_Print1.jpg
I give you guys a challenge, and you give up. Not what I expected from you.
The point of challenges ...
Allow me to give you a boost...
*Solar radiation, not low gravity, is responsible for the dissociation of water on Mars. ...
- Yeah, no.
Ultraviolet light from the sun dissociates 2H20 -> 2H2 + O2. Normally, the two species would quickly recombine, but ...
Sure, we can neutralize perchlorates in the lab. But can we do it all over the planet on an ...
We can't install a new mag field on Mars, all we can do is replace the stuff we lose due ...
The last three posts I put up in response to your question all had banner introductions, but these did not ...
- I've been having the same problem. I'll discuss on your test thread.
- The last three posts I put up in response to your question all had banner introductions, but these did not ...
- We can't install a new mag field on Mars, all we can do is replace the stuff we lose due ...
- Sure, we can neutralize perchlorates in the lab. But can we do it all over the planet on an ...
Creating an atmosphere on mars would be like
Terraforming another planet is going to be expensive, and its going to take a long time and a lot ...